Friday, January 18, 2013

Marrakech, Morocco

My sweet friend Beth and I were planning to go on a trip together in order to explore more of the cultural paradoxes of this world. While looking for plane tickets and picking up destinations we were listening to Toto's song "Africa". We took it as a sign and booked tickets for Marrakech, Morocco. It was like going back in time.


Just to get you orientated----->



 We arrived early on a sunny and hot Tuesday morning and our exploration started from the little maze like markets of Medina, Marrakech's old city.

 Spices are considered to be the country's most special product. In order to attract you, shop owners usually tell you stories about each spice and its healing abilities. Some of them insisted on giving us a head massage with oils distilled by flowers. The feeling was unique.




   As I was looking for postcards, I found this place. I asked people for a map and it took me so long to find it. But I did. This is where wool is died and hang to dry. The various pigments make the street look like a rainbow.



     Beth and I liked to hang out at Medina's main square to grab some fresh orange juice and dried figs.



  Before visiting the square you need to know what to expect. I didn't.
          Men approach you with snakes and monkeys and they ask you to pay for a picture with them.

   And women approach you to give you a henna tattoo. Be prepared, they won't speak to you if you are a man.






The tanneries.


  There is nothing better than a round with a camel. That was my camel, Madonna. She trully had a diva's personality.



  This is one of my favourite pictures. It's very uncommon to see women walking alone. I must have caught the only one in front of a door with hearts.




No comments:

Post a Comment