Thursday, January 24, 2013

.Granada, Andalucia, Spain.

After Cordoba, it was about time I explored Granada, the reason why I visited Spain. The city had unique energy. When walking around one could listen to stories about people who have danced with passion, loved with passion, and fought about their passion. So, I took my book and made sure I visited all the places mentioned. For a while I felt like I was part of the story.

Here is a map to get you orientated--->

All I was listening to was...


As I got off the bus, I started looking for the old city where I was staying. On my way, I bumped into this beautiful girl who was wearing this traditional flamenco costume. With my poor Spanish, I told her she was pretty and that I wanted to take a picture. And that's what she gave me...

As I kept walking, it seemed I had found my way. I was in the "Paseo de los Tristes" ("The passage of the Sad") where I was lucky enough to stay.




As I dropped my stuff I couldn't wait to explore the Arabic neighborhood of "Albaicin".


    2 men playing the guitar while smoking weed and arguing.


 Albaicin's main square where the gypsies meet and play the guitar!





At night I went out to explore the city's nightlife.

And I asked these people you see sitting behind down the corner for a picture with the castle of Alhambra (that's a difficulty everyone has faced when traveling alone).They turned out to be a family with a strange consistency (2 fathers and a mother with a baby). 





And then I met my new friends for a few sangrias at a few bars.

And then we got a little bit tipsy.

Day 2
Next day I heard there was a tour in Sacromonte and decided to join. Sacromonte is a neighbourhood outside the city's walls, in between the mountains where gypsies live in caves. I was told not to take my camera but I did despite the odds.


The view of Alhambra and the city lying beyond.

And then took a break to enjoy a real Andalucian sangria and the view of Alhambra.

Later on, I went down the centre to find out more about 
the city's famous Cathedral.

And the night came along. I met two very special characters, Pepito and his dog Dolly. Pepito was an immigrant from Colombia and Dolly was a stray dog. Once I told him about my studies in Psychology he showed me a book he was reading about Gestalt psychology. He was trying to give me the gist of it with hand-gestures, and made my night so interesting.



And I went up the hill to see the Alhambra at night for the last time.



No comments:

Post a Comment